Monday, October 09, 2006

Wacky Foursome!


I haven't worked with vectors for the longest time. I'm surprised this came out fairly good.

I'm still working on my animation and I'm mostly experimenting with alot of things and also taking as much information and research I can take. It's a fun experience. Also, I've been researching tons of information and articles on Ralph Bakshi and there's this article he did where he spoke about his experiences as an inker for Jim Tyer in Terrytoons and would sort of study the frames that Tyer would give to him for inking. My whole perception on Jim Tyer's work on Terrytoons changed when I read the article. I thought he was the popular animator over at Terrytoons, but it turns out that he was sort of the guy people looked down upon because he wouldn't stay on model with the characters and that his drawings were "poorly" done. I say Hell to that! Tyer in my opinion was a true cartoonist. If I worked at Terrytoons, I would've been super jealous at his cartooning skills. His drawings are probably the only funniest things I've ever seen in any cartoon and his animation makes me feel all wiggly with fun. I feel something deep inside every time I see his stuff. There's some definitive power in his cartoons. In the article, Bakshi also explains how he would sometimes animate by first drawing the nose on every frame, then the eyes, head and so on until he made the scene come alive. It's immensely interesting stuff. I just wanted to throw some cool information on you cool cartoon folk. I think I'm gonna research Tyer next just for fun. I recommend you do the same thing!

19 comments:

Brian Romero said...

Nice vector work there! Did you use the paint brush tool in Illustrator or were you using Flash?

Pedro Vargas said...

Thanks, Brian! I used the pen tool in Photoshop for this. I appreciate that you like it especially since you do vectors yourself. The stuff you do looks real great in vectors.

benj said...

The hands of the guy are AWESOME!
very solid and funny at the same time... KEEP IT UP!

benj said...

very nice pic!(not just the guy's hands)

Sam said...

Beef Joy!

Arschblog said...

This picture is beautiful!!! I love the rabbit in this picture.
I have photoshop too, as I tried to draw and color some pictures the finished picture looks awful, so I still color my drawings by hand.
Make more! :)

Pedro Vargas said...

Benj, Sam, Stef-->Thanks! I'm real glad you all like the 4 crazies. I usually like to do hand drawn traditional stuff myself and it's alot quicker for me too, but vectors can make a drawing look real nice and clean making it seem more professional I think.

Brian Romero said...

Vector line art used to take me longer too. Once I bought my Wacom and set up some custom inking brushes in Illustrator it became just as fast for me to ink it digitally as with a real brush and ink.

Pedro Vargas said...

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a Wacom tablet. It's pretty much as handy as pen and ink and pretty fun to use without worrying how a line'll come out in the first try.

M.Pheuz said...

wow this looks great. when i lay my hands on photoshop it's always a bunch of crap.
i read about the wacom tablet once, seemed to be a pretty cool thing. what does it cost again? i forgot

ryan said...

WHOA, those are some good fingers & hands!

Randy Siplon said...

cool stuff.

sean said...

i did it in ink, that seems to be my favorite medium, ill post some more pictures soon. thanks for the comment

Trevour said...

Hey Pedro! I just came across your blog for the first time, checked out EVERYTHING - HOLY CRAP GREAT STUFF!!! This is what great cartooniness is all about. And not only do you do great artwork, your humour within the art is equally amazing and highly enjoyable. My cup of tea, no doubt about that!

I added your blog into my links over at my page!

Again, awesome stuff. Keep it up!

fabiopower said...

Hello Pedro!
if you have some Latin origin, I hope that you know something of Spanish…( my english is very bad)
I saw your paintings through post of the page of John K and are very good! CONGRATULATIONS!
To me also I like to draw, but I do not know which is the technique to obtain those textures in the color. is the type of brush? the paper? I would be thankful to you much if it is possible that you give me some tip,and if you have done it, please it tell me where

Greetings from Chile

fabiopower said...

and the digital picture? was maked in Wacom tablet?
It always has been my great doubt with respect to that line that with the look so professional….I still use mouse.,,! you also? how is possible?

Pedro Vargas said...

Holy cow! So many comments.

Ryan, Randy, Trevour, Fabiopower--> Thanks for liking my stuff! Trevour, I checked out your blog as well and you've got some killer cartoon images. I'll look at it more in depth. I think you have a cool cartooning style.

Fabiopower, I do most of my painting in gouache. I'm not too familiar with painting techniques, but what I usually do is mix colors together to create a composition for the background and they come out sort of abstract and the colors come out neutral, which is ok, but make the painting seem kinda flat. I try not to use pure colors straight from the tubes and I try to create different kinds. They also create some interesting textures too. I hope this helps, and the drawing here was made in Photoshop using the pen tool. I used the mouse to control the pen tool.

P.S. I speak spanish very well, but my writing's not so good so mostly I just write in english. I sometimes try though.

Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

Anonymous said...

You really have some interesting stuff here! i have added your page as a bookmark. I have to keep checking this out for updates:D
personalized throwpersonalized throw

personalized throwpersonalized throw